- Davy McCracken provided a Keynote Presentation on “High Nature Value (HNV) farming: a rich diversity of systems” at the Diversity session held on Tuesday 17th November 2020 as part of the Wales Real Food & Farming Conference: https://wrffc.wales/cynhadledd-2020-conference/
- Davy McCracken gave an invited presentation on the upland agricultural and environmental work at SRUC on Tuesday 27th October to delegates attending the CIEEM [Professional Body for Ecologists & Environmental Managers] online conference Scottish conference focussed on “Land use in Scotland: changes, challenges and solutions”.
- Davy McCracken gave an invited presentation on Monday 14th September 2020 at the online Environmental Platform Wales conference which has a focus on Resilience in the Welsh uplands. Davy’s presentation was entitled Addressing upland agricultural and environmental challenge in Scotland and focussed on the innovations at Kirkton & Auchtertyre designed to help upland land managers in Scotland achieve Net-Zero by 2045. More details on the conference at: https://epwales.org.uk/environment-evidence-2020/
- A stall at the 2019 Orkney International Science Festival Family Day. (6/9/19) attracted considerable attention and discussion on farming in Orkney, where Orkney’s food comes from and how eating patterns change.
- Pop-up/handouts presence at the Great Yorkshire Show
- A wide range of national and international students, farmers and government officials visited SRUC’s upland research farms during 2018/19 to hear and discuss the challenges and opportunities facing upland livestock farmers– a detailed listing can be provided on request. Scotland’s Minister for Rural Economy & Natural Environment paid a bespoke visit to the farms on 26th March 2019.
- Andrew Barnes presented economic modelling data to Defra.
- Davy McCracken spoke at the Scottish Land & Estates Spring Conference in Edinburgh on 15th May 2019, providing the keynote presentation at this conference (focussed on Maximising the Margins).
- Davy McCracken spoke at the NFUS annual conference in Glasgow on Thursday 7th February 2019 on what hill farmers can do specifically to reduce their impacts on climate change.
- During winter 2019, funding from this project and other projects held by SRUC to allow three hill farming specific workshops across Scotland (in Dingwall, Lockerbie and Pitlochry) each designed to obtain from farmers/crofters an indication of the specific constraints affecting their own land and what assistance they might require to address those constraints. These workshops were organised in association with National Farmers Union Scotland (NFUS) and Soil Association Scotland.
- In October 2018, Davy McCracken spoke at the Irish Uplands Forum Conference entitled “Innovation and Partnerships in the Uplands” on the subject of “Delivering public goods from the Scottish uplands”.
Davy McCracken writes a monthly column for the Press & Journal newspaper focused on topical issues and research developments of relevance to upland livestock farming systems.
SRUC policy briefing on finishing cattle in Scotland https://www.ruralbrexit.scot/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/FinishingCattleFinalVAmendedFinishers.pdf
Rivero, M.J., Lopez-Villalobos, N., Evans, A., Berndt, A., Cartmill, A., Neal, A., McLaren, A., Farruggia, A., Mignolet, C., Durant, D., Chadwick, D., Styles, D., McCracken, D., Busch, D., Martin, G., Fleming, H., Sheridan, H., Gibbons, J., Merbold, L., Eisler, M., Lambe, N., Rovira, P., Harris, P., Murphy, P., Vercoe, P., Williams, P., Machado, R., Takahashi, T., Puech, T., Boland, T., Ayala, W. & Lee, M. (In Press) Key traits for ruminant livestock across diverse production systems in the context of climate change: perspectives from a global platform of research farms. Reproduction, Fertility & Development, accepted for publication 21st July 2020
Shrestha S., Barrat A S., Fox NJ., Ahmadi BV., Hutchins MR. (2020) Financial impacts of liver fluke on livestock farms under climate change – a farm level assessment. Frontiers in Veterinary Science (in press)
Barnes AP., Thomson SG. , Ferreira J. (2020) Disadvantage and economic viability: characterising vulnerabilities and resilience in upland farming systems. Land Use Policy 96:104698
Animal Futures project